Skip to main content

The Feminine Mind

This week, a kind and loving woman that I know said, "Would you say you have a male mind? You are so logical!"
shocked


Listen here. I can be smart and feminine. I am a strong, intelligent woman. 
But here's the thing... I like to learn about things like this:

It's so... pretty.
And this:

Do you know what absolutely excites my mind? This:
Lightning slowed down at 10,000 frames per second. That is one of the coolest things .

And this:

I love colors and calculus. 
Twirling and thinking. 
Circuits and creativity. 

The odd thing is, men as a whole are welcoming to this idea. It's rare to for me to experience that form of discrimination (My favorite: "Electrical engineering? There aren't that many electronics in the kitchen..." Yeah, but there are plenty of knives.) Mostly, they at least act interested and supportive. 

Women, though, have a different attitude. Not all, but a large majority say, 

"Wow, you must be so smart!" No. Just diligent. Just passionate about the universe. Also, intelligence is fluid. (Because I like citation: http://www.livescience.com/36143-iq-change-time.html ). I'll admit my mind is pretty cool, but I am much more proud of my patience and my diligence.

"I could never do that!" Shush. You could. I've met some really, really unintelligent engineers (bless their hearts.) You know what? They make great engineers. They know how to work. A hard major means dedication, sure. It means studying while others party, and spending weekends buried in textbooks sometimes. But it also means a chance to learn things that were unknown to mankind a century ago. It means the chance to have a comfortable life, with a stable job that challenges and provides endless puzzles to solve. 

Ladies, can we stop? Don't separate engineers from yourself. Don't consign yourself to less 

-Tesla Webb 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do we all see colors the same?

Look at this. It's green. We all learned it in kindergarten and/or pre-k. And this, red. How do we know how we see it? It's weird but HOW????????????  I want to figure out if you see red how I do. The first thing we do to describe anything is colors. Do we see them all the same? How would we figure it out? DOES ANYONE KNOW?????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Second!

New blog!!! Cute kitten Monday! DFTBA - The little one :)

Intro #Avery

So I am roughly a super overachiever so here is a little taste of my resume.... ENJOY FBLA STATE PARLIAMENTARIAN  and my crew...(is it just me or do I have a REALLY small head in this pic?) Student Council President Book club President   meaning I pretty much deal with this...... and spend the whole time like this..... Beta club historian Play tennis #likeaboss I know you are sitting here like REALLY? TELL ME MORE... but I got to go soo..... DFTBA, The cool one